Thursday, January 19, 2017


The Fish Room Project

Update #6 

Well, they'e done it again! My discus fish are in full parenting mode. I wasn't going to raise this new generation of discus yet, but my curiosity got the best of me, so I'm going to give it a shot. I really want to see what this new generation will look like. I'm hoping for solid- to near-solid cobalt blue. They have good genes, so it is very possible to get some really nice fish from this batch of wrigglers.

Here's a video of the proud parents and their brood. They moved the babies to the sponge filter elbow. This is a much better spot than the canister filter intake tube where they laid the eggs. Now I can cover that intake with a piece of filter floss.


I am planning to automate many of the functions that I will need to perform. It should be easier to maintain the tank this time, but I'm also going to make a couple of changes to accommodate the babies I might eventually raise from this brood.

I made a couple of changes in the 4-tank system too. I added a bag of Seachem® Purigen to the sump. I also cut out a couple layers of flat filter material I had used once in a failed attempt at a divider and put it over the bio balls in the trickle tower portion of the filter. I had it lying around for a while and finally figured I'd give it a try.

Let's see what happens.

5 comments: