Monday, March 14, 2016

The Fish Room Project: Update 3

The Fish Room Project

Update #3

Last time I posted, I realized that my blog wasn't very eye-catching. I was missing images, something to give my blog some life, ideally something that would illustrate the stuff I've been writing about. Therefore, I determined to take some pictures of the next step, and this time I was prepared!

I was pleasantly surprised to receive the bulkhead kit on Saturday, just as I made up my mind to go ahead and drill the tanks. This was exactly the push I needed. I finally got up the nerve to do it, and I am very pleased with the results. I'm going to post some pictures and captions below and just get out of the way for now.

I set out to drill the tanks first thing in the morning (after feeding the kids, of course)...


I covered the work area, brought in the hose, got my materials together, etc.


I wasn't able to film myself drilling the holes, but the long, loud squeaking of the diamond hole saw was worth it. Actually, I was surprised that the glass didn't take longer to drill.  GLASS DRILLING TIP: Besides keeping water in the hole cutting area at all times, go gently!  Don't rush glass cutting!




Here are the tanks, freshly drilled, lined back up on a table in my yard.  I find it easier and more efficient to prepare all the tanks together, step-by-step rather than setting one up at a time.




I proceeded to paint the back and sides (Krylon Maxx, Coler: Aqua).  I really like how the light blue came out. It looks good against both the black frame of the aquarium and the false sand that I painted under the bottom glass.  You can catch a sense of that look from the tank at the bottom, right side.  The other tank at the bottom is coming soon. I just ran out of paint and plan to swing by Wal-Mart later tonight to buy some on my way home from work.




Here's a look at the strainer and overflow.




I noticed that the overflows lined up neatly above one another, so I could conceivably run one length of 1" PVC pipe down the back of the rack and into the drain pipe that will feed the wet-dry trickle filter at the bottom.  I'll think about it for a while. If I do, I had better install some unions in case I want to detach a tank from the system.



I'll keep you posted as I make progress on my mini fish room!

No comments:

Post a Comment